Student Opportunities Newsletter
Sign up for the weekly BFI Student Opportunities Newsletter to keep in touch with food-related student opportunities on and off-campus, including internship and job postings, scholarships, volunteering, community events, and more! Check out the archives here.
Complete this form if you would like to advertise a food-related opportunity in our Student Opportunities newsletter.
Urban Agriculture Internships
This program — which is presently suspended — offers UC Berkeley students the opportunity to intern with community, K-12 school and campus urban agriculture programs. Interns will be fully immersed and involved in the daily activities and programs of the sites and receive two to three units of academic credit for participating: one unit per 45 hours through ESPM 197 Food Systems Minor or Education Minor W144. This is an unpaid internship. This is an excellent opportunity for a hands-on experience in the community with youth, local farms and small urban agriculture businesses. No gardening skills or teaching experience necessary!
The internship runs in the fall and spring semester and the application rounds are in November and August. Below are the program’s various internship opportunities.
- Berkeley Unified School District: Gardening & Cooking Program is a district-wide program that incorporates hands-on, interdisciplinary, experiential education in 17 school gardens and 4 kitchen classrooms, from preschool to high school. Instructors teach from a garden-based learning curriculum that is woven into academic standards and integrates social emotional development and early interaction with nature and food systems. Interns will be fully involved in classroom activities, by supporting with gardening, instruction, and classroom management. Please indicate if you would prefer: garden based learning in elementary; project-based in the garden in middle; or nutrition education with high school students. Interns will need to be self starters and able to model good behavior for students.
- Oakland Unified School District: Garden, Nutrition, And Sustainability Program is a district-wide program that uses a multi-faceted approach to providing urban students access to healthy, locally-produced food; understanding of food systems and natural cycles; engaging in experiential, standards-based garden and nutrition lessons; building self-reliance and character; and connecting to local community. OUSD has 20 school learning gardens and a food waste program in school cafeterias. Interns will work in gardens and cafeterias with classroom management, instruction, waste reduction and recovery, focused group work, waste data tracking, reporting, and student engagement.
- UC Gill Tract Community Farm is a collaborative project between UC Berkeley and the local community, located in Albany. The Farm focuses on issues of food justice and urban farming and aims to be a community space and resource. It is a flagship for urban farming, growing over 18,000 pounds of vegetables a year and collaborating with over 30 different organizations across the East Bay. Interns will work directly with one or more of the Farm’s Working Groups on different aspects of Farm production, programs, organization, funding and administration.
Food and Agriculture-Related Organizations
Interested in getting involved but not sure where to start? BFI has compiled a list of over 300 organizations related to sustainable food and agriculture. Use control+F to search by key words, location, or scope. Click here to access the list.
Additional Professional Development Resources
Here are some additional resources to assist you with finding internship, job, and volunteer opportunities, including:
- Government Opportunities in Food Policy: A compilation of internships with food-related policy departments and agencies on the federal, state, and Bay Area level
- UC Berkeley’s Career Center lists jobs, internships and career development events
- UC Berkeley’s Public Service Center connects students to shared learning and collaborative action
- Ecological Farming Association sends 1-3 emails per week featuring jobs for a healthy and just food system
- Good Food Jobs lists internships, apprenticeships and jobs
- National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service lists internships, apprenticeships, and jobs
- Sustainable Agriculture Jobs, Internships, and Apprenticeships is an active Facebook page for career development opportunities
- Tufts Comfoods links individuals and organizations towards community food security
- National Center for Appropriate Technology lists sustainable agriculture internships and apprenticeships
- California Organic Certified Farmers (CCOF) Classifieds lists agricultural jobs and internships