Various departments and students groups have been working on food waste reduction and food recovery for years including Cal Dining, the Student Environmental Resource Center (SERC), the Student Parent Association for Recruitment and Retention (SPARR), and the Berkeley Student Food Collective.
In Fall of 2017, UC Berkeley’s Basic Needs Committee convened a campus Food Recovery Coalition to bring together these cross-campus partners and develop a comprehensive strategy to recover food at the scale that it is wasted specifically for food insecure students. The vision for this work is to sustain, coordinate and amplify existing efforts to reduce food waste and create structures for safely transporting and repurposing edible food waste specifically for food insecure students.
In Fall of 2017, the Berkeley Environmental Law Clinic in collaboration with Environmental Health and Safety developed UC Berkeley Food Recovery Guidelines and in spring of 2018 we are piloting several strategies for food recovery using these guidelines. These efforts are student led, coordinated and executed. Contact student leaders below and/or Meg Prier (email@example.com) facilitator of the Food Recovery Coalition for more information and how to get involved!
- Cal Dining Food Waste Reduction, Awareness and Recovery
- Sam Lubow, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SERC Vermi-Composting pilot for Cal Dining pre-consumer waste
- Sharon Daraphonhdeth, email@example.com
- Prepared Food Recovery from events to student lounges and/or campus food pantry
- Jeffrey Chiu
- Gleaning and Second Harvest Recovery
- Justin Loew
- Grocery and Warehouse Produce Recovery
- Ibrahim Ramoul Menendez
- Central Food Recovery Campus Kitchen and Retail Café
- Jeff Noven, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Basic Needs Processing Kitchen
- Meg Prier, email@example.com
Core members of the Food Recovery Coalition: Cal Dining, SPARR, BSFC, Swipe Out Hunger, ASUC, Berkeley Student Cooperatives (BSC), Berkeley Greek System, Environmental Health & Safety, Environmental Law Clinic, Zero Waste, Be Well at Work, SERC, Cook N Serve, University Health Services.