Staff Basic Needs Spring 2021 Graduate Student Researcher
Appointment: 20 hours per week, remotely, between January 19 – May 15, 2021. Weekly schedule to be determined between researcher and their supervisor.
Compensation: GSR Step V at 50% FTE ($2,451.42 monthly, or equivalent to $28.18/hour), plus tuition and fees.
Application Deadline: December 13, 2020, 5pm PT.
Applicants must be matriculated graduate students at UC Berkeley. Both professional and doctoral students are eligible to apply. To apply, submit the following items by email as a single pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Staff Basic Needs GSR”
- Cover letter
- Contact information for 2 professional and/or academic references
About the Staff Basic Needs Working Group:
Founded in fall 2018, the Staff Basic Needs Working Group (SBNWG) provides food, housing, and economic resources for UC Berkeley’s staff, postdocs, and visiting researchers. We work to make the UC Berkeley Basic Needs Center programming accessible to all employees, and provide targeted outreach and services for Berkeley’s most vulnerable staff populations. We also research, innovate, advocate, and engage in coalition building to lead systemic changes to improve the basic needs security of the University’s employees. The Staff Basic Needs Working Group is a volunteer committee.
The Staff Basic Needs GSR will focus on two projects:
- Building on existing resources, develop an implementation plan and IRB protocol for a pilot mobile food pantry specifically for UC Berkeley employees.
- Research and draft program recommendations for the “Be Well at Work – Faculty/Staff Health Programs” to support Berkeley employees in accessing basic needs security services from outside agencies (city/county/state/federal).
This position reports to Susana Matias, Cooperative Extension Specialist, Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, and will work closely with the Staff Basic Needs Working Group members.
- Graduate-level coursework in nutrition and/or food/housing policy and program development.
- Research experience in the areas of health, nutrition, policy or social sciences.
- Familiarity with the local/regional/state/federal food and housing services landscape.
- Cultural competencies, including humility, to effectively work on behalf of employee populations with varying experiences of basic needs insecurity.
- Commitment to justice-centered public service, as a core tenet of the Staff Basic Needs Working Group.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, particularly in regards to communications across diverse groups.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to work independently and to foresee, identify, and recommend solutions in the position’s areas of responsibility.
- Comfort with creativity, innovation, and hard work.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Mandarin preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see:
Staff Basic Needs Working Group
- Chair: Rosalie Zdzienicka Fanshel, Program Manager, Berkeley Food Institute
- Vice Chair: Nicole Evans McIntyre, Associate Director of Education, Center for Energy Efficient Electronics Science (E³S)
- Elliott DiTusa, Employee Assistance Counselor, University Health Services
- Jennifer Garcia, Staffing and Training Coordinator, Cal Dining
- Cecilia Mafnas, Manager, Visiting Scholar and Postdoc Affairs Program
- Yvette Lane-Newton Director, Visiting Scholars and Postdoc Affairs
- Brian Light, Chief Operations Manager, Social Sciences Division Libraries
- Harris M. Mojadedi, Student Fee Analyst, Division of Student Affairs
- Izzy Parnell-Wolfe, Campus Operations
- Karen Patchell, Be Well at Work Program Manager, University Health Services
- Sydney Saubestre, Research Coordinator, Human Rights Center
- Natalia Semeraro, Food and Outreach Coordinator, Basic Needs Center
- Eddie Simmons, Custodial Supervisor, Foothill
- Lindy West, Worksite Wellness Specialist Service Employees, University Health Services
Founded in fall 2018, the Staff Basic Needs Working Group provides food, housing, and economic resources for UC Berkeley’s staff, postdocs, and visiting researchers. We work to make the Basic Needs Center programming accessible to all employees, and provide targeted outreach and services for Berkeley’s most vulnerable staff populations. We also research, innovate, advocate, and engage in coalition building to lead systemic changes to improve the basic needs security of the University’s employees.
To get involved, contact Rosalie Z. Fanshel, Program Manager, Berkeley Food Institute, at email@example.com
Emergency Food Resource for Staff during COVID-19
The Basic Needs Center and Staff Basic Needs Working Group have received additional funding to support staff in this difficult time. We are able to provide a limited number of $75 Safeway grocery cards to UC Berkeley staff members who are unable to afford groceries.
These funds are intended to serve staff who need additional food assistance to meet their needs right now. If you fit this criteria, we encourage you to complete this quick online grocery card form. Due to limited funding, requests will be accommodated on a first-come first-served basis. Gift cards will be available via email or for pick up on campus. Please note that emailed electronic gift cards unfortunately must be printed for use. If you have already received a physical grocery card from the university during the campus closure via your manager, you are ineligible for this additional award.