Just Food: Episode 2, Season 2
Release date: May 3, 2018
With or without a large kitchen, children can be taught about real food, our food sources, and the complete food system. Mary Schriner,an ecoliteracy instructor at Cleveland Elementary School in Oakland, teaches children about everything from eggs to wheat to cooking it all, with the help of principal Peter Van Tassel and an army of volunteers. The community support is heart-warming—and surprising.
This episode features:
- Moira O’Neill, JD, Associate Research Scientist of Law and Planning at the Institute of Urban and Regional Development at UC Berkeley
- Mary Schriner, Ecoliteracy instructor, Cleveland Elementary School
- Peter Van Tassel, Principal, Cleveland Elementary School
- Parents, teachers, volunteers
- The children of Cleveland Elementary School
Rethinking School Lunch Oakland is a collaboration between Oakland Unified School District and The Center for EcoLiteracy. This research by our BFI affiliates began with a seed grant from BFI that has been generously and continuously expanded by the Stupski Foundation and the TomKat Foundation, both wholly dedicated to the well-being of our children.
This podcast was produced by the Berkeley Food Institute in partnership with the UC Berkeley Advanced Media Institute at the Graduate School of Journalism. Graelyn Brashear, Producer. Twilight Greenaway, Host. Edmond M. Allmond, Moderator and Program Development. Lee Mengistu, Field reporter. Theme music by Blue Dot Sessions.