Funding for Student-run Events
Our student group support policy
BFI has a small annual budget for supporting the activities of UC Berkeley food and agriculture-related student groups. Requests are considered until the funding is used up for the year.
Food and ag-related activity examples can include, but are not limited to:
- Venue fees
- Speaker fees
- Certain travel costs (e.g. lodging and/or ground/domestic air travel)
- Food and non-alcoholic beverages for events
- Supplies and materials for workshops and events
- Supplies and materials for student-run campus gardens
We do not fund alcoholic beverages or memberships.
A specific student group can make up to two requests per academic year for a total of no more than $500 given to any particular group in one year. Please note: funding is not guaranteed given budget limitations.
How to make a funding request
Email email@example.com with the subject line “Student Group Funding Request.”
In the email, please include:
- Your name
- Your email address
- Your student group name
- A brief description of the student group event or activity, including the purpose, audience, and benefits of the event
- Requested amount and detailed use of the proposed funds
If your funding request is accepted
For Registered Student Organizations (RSOs), we will transfer awarded funding directly to your ASUC CalLink account. For non-RSOs, payment will come in the form of reimbursement after the event. All itemized receipts will be required to receive your reimbursement.
If you receive funding from BFI, the following will be required:
- Itemized receipts clearly showing the date of purchase, vendor info, items purchased, and last four digits of card used by the student being reimbursed.
- Digital receipts are preferred, but paper receipts are acceptable. Immediately take pictures of all paper receipts by laying them flat on a surface so that the entire receipt is legible.
- If funds were transferred to your RSO, please let us know.
- Speaker fees (aka honorarium) must be paid through your RSO.
- A brief summary of outcomes, learnings, and/or photos from your funded activities. Please note that this summary may be shared via our newsletter and social media.